Friday 30 March 2012

Colours in Korean

As a young child exposed to the vulgarity of philosophy, I was posed the question is blue blue? Well of course it bloody is. I think the point was that everyone sees colours differently so blah blah blah. A lovely linguistic cliché is to discuss the fact that different languages cultures have different concepts of colour and don't have certain colours at all. I have not yet come across a language like this in my experience, so I can't comment (though someone told me that Latin colours were more about brightness.)

Anyway as you would guess, Korean has many words for colour and of course many different colours. A great similarity between English being the poetic '파루다'pareuda it is azure to "파랗다"parata it is blue. The former being used for only natural phenomena. Intriguingly, traffic lights, despite being the same here as in any country, are referred to as turning blue "파래 지다"parae jida and not green. As far as I've learnt there is no adjectival/verbal form for green! Philosophers please don't get too excited.

Furthermore it seems like the phrase "my hat is red" "내 모자가 빨간색이에요"nae mojaga bbalkanseki-ye-yo or "내 모자가 빨개요"nae mojaga bbalkayo mean exactly the same thing... Although I think it is more likely that their difference is the difference between "좋아요"jo-ayo / it is good and "좋아 해요"jo-a-heyo / I like it(it is good). One meaning something like "its nature is red" and the other "it is red". Anyway I don't really understand why Korean has so many verbal pairs like this, but the more I learn, the more (however slowly) I understand.

1 comment:

  1. After speaking to a very competent Korean friend, her distinction between the two is “빨개요” means that it is a kind of red, where “빨간색이에요” means that it is literally the colour red, and nothing else. Not mauve, not crimson, not bright red etc. Sounds right to me.

    ReplyDelete