Monday 12 November 2012

to "close" one word in English, many in Korean!

This is perfect the perfect example of why Korean is so difficult, all the different words for essentially one in English. In English once you know the word close you can say: "I close my eyes", "I close the door", "I close the book", "I close the curtains". In fact the European languages that I know also use close for at least three of those phrases.

Korean is not a European language so it doesn't!

So these basic expressions are in essence harder because they all contain many words. BUT in the long run, if you put in the effort to remember these words, it will be easier, because 덮다deop-dameans "to cover", 치다chi-da, "to remove" and 닫다dat-ta means "to close". So you actually learn three words for the price of one.
Ok so 감다gam-da only goes with eyes...but this is Korean, don't expect it to be completely simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment