Friday 13 July 2012

동문서답 / East Question, West Answer

동문서답(하다)dong-mun-seo-dap(hada) Is a great phrase which simply does not exist in English. It captures a very Asian habit of not answering the right question.
It literally means "East question, WEst answer" and you apply it to whenever someone gives an answer to a question which is different to what they have been asked. This can happen often and it's great that there's a word for it. Now, when someone doesn't listen to what I say, I can tell them 동문서답 했군요dong-mun-seo-dap haer-gun-yo.

With a little bit of creative translation, this phrase can have an added meaning for English speakers. In the west, the questions we ask are often completely different to the ones Koreans pose. Just think about the Klassic Korean question when you meet someone: "How old are you?"
Same with the answers, some questions in Korea can elicit a (frustrating) Eastern response. The other day I met a journalist and asked "what newspaper do you work for?" She answered: "A very famous one in Seoul". I asked her for the name again and she said I wouldn't know it because I'm foreign! That's the whole goddamn reason why I asked!!!!
This is a classic case of "West question, East answer"! don't you think?

Another Klassic West question, East Answer

Me: Where do you live? (to a student in Daegu)
Terrified student on the first day: I live in Daegu
Me: Really? Where in Daegu?
Terrified student on the first day: (embarassed smile) I don't know

For other examples of crossed wires, weird questions and why Koreans answer questions so strangely, have a look at this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment